facebook
YouTube
Twitter
LinkedIn

MAA 150th Anniversary images  Nostalgia Home   

 MAA's First 150 Years
Timeline written for MAA's Sesquecentennial.

1839
Boone County wins its bid to locate the University in Columbia.

The Geyer Act establishes the University as the first publicly supported higher education institution west of the        Mississippi River.

1843
Robert L. Todd and Robert B. Todd become the University’s first alumni.

1849
The first course in civil engineering is offered.

1853
Alumni Society (Association) forms with Odon Guitar as first president. Robert L. Todd gives first alumni oration at commencement.

1867
The Normal School, now the College of Education, is established. Mary Gillett graduates from the Normal School. As was the case at MU, she was not allowed to complete courses for a bachelor’s degree.

1870
Federal Morrill Act makes MU a land-grant university and spurs establishment of College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts.

1872
The law department is established.

Anna Ware becomes the first female to graduate from MU with a four-year bachelor’s degree.

1883
Alumni vote to raise $10,000 to endow the association.

1888
The Missouri Agricultural Experiment Station is established to conduct research and share knowledge.

1889
At the association’s annual meeting, alumni resolve to create an Alumni Annual containing the annual oration and information on all alumni.

The St. Louis alumni chapter is formed.

1891
The Kansas City chapter isformed by this year.

The endowment committee raises enough subscriptions to create a $3,000 fund.

1894
The Academic department is established (forerunner to College of Arts and Science).

1899
The first doctor of philosophy degree from MU is awarded.

1900
The Department of Household Economics, now the College of Human Environmental Sciences, is established.

1904
The first nursing class graduates. In 1920, the Department of Nursing is established within the School of Medicine. It becomes the autonomous School of Nursing in 1975.

1906
Boone County is among the 39 new Missouri county chapters.

1907
The Boonville Weekly Advertiser writes that 3,276 men and women have graduated from the University.

There are 50 alumni chapters by 1907.

April 19, 1907 - First celebration of Founders Day.

1908
The School of Journalism is established.

New chapters form in California, Chicago and Seattle.

1909
A New York City chapter forms.

1910
Alumni make a plea for regular reunions at five, 10, 15, 20 and 25 years after graduation.

1912
A Washington D.C., chapter forms.

1913
A Portland, Ore., chapter forms.

1914
The School of Commerce is established (forerunner to College of Business).

1915
A north California chapter forms.

1916
There are new chapters in New Mexico and Cleveland.

1917
Twin Cities and Tulsa chapters form.

1921
It is estimated that there are 30,000 - 40,000 former students and alumni of the University.

There is a groundbreaking for Memorial Tower. MUAA plays a key role in the fundraising campaign for both Memorial Union and Memorial Stadium.

1923
Alumni vote to begin having an alumni dinner at Homecoming.

1924
The Executive Committee of MUAA meets in Jesse Hall and becomes a board of directors with representatives from each academic unit at MU. The board recommends the creation of an MUAA-sponsored placement office and a committee on alumni gifts and scholarships.

Alumni luncheon is held at the Missouri State Fair.

Late 1920s
Medical School Alumni Association forms.

1931
Class reunions are held at Homecoming instead of commencement on trial basis in hopes that attendance and enthusiasm will improve.

The Journalism School Alumni Association forms.

1933
MUAA is chartered.

1945
William Albrecht collects a soil sample from Sanborn Field that provides the golden mold used to make the penicillin-like wonder drug aureomycin.

1946
The College of Veterinary Medicine is established.

April 12, 1949
The University appoints Guy “Bus” Entsminger as the Assistant Director of Alumni Activities. He becomes Vice Chancellor for Development and Alumni Relations in 1967. Many consider him the father of alumni relations at MU.

1968
The Alumni Alliance forms to support the University of Missouri System.

Alumni Association and Alumni Achievement Fund combined to become Office of Development and Alumni Relations.

The association awards the first Faculty-Alumni Awards recognizing the achievements of distinguished faculty
and alumni.

1970
The University renames its alumni organization "Alliance of Alumni Associations."

1972
Gifts to the University by alumni increase to $570,380, up $75,000 from 1971.

The Alliance of Alumni Association bylaws are adopted.

1973
The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching publishes its first classification of American colleges and universities. MU is grouped among the nation’s best universities that confer the most doctoral degrees and participate in the most federally funded research.

1974
The Alumni Association Student Board is founded.

1977
The Alumni Association Student Board holds its first Alumathon: a cross-country race benefiting the Alumni Scholar Program.

1978
The School of Health Related Professions is established.

1979
The Black Alumni Organization forms.

The Franklin County chapter forms.

1980
The Alumni College begins, co-sponsored by the association and University Extension.

1989
The Truman Conference on U.S.-Korean Relations forms, partly to keep in contact with Korean alumni.

1994
The association establishes the Faculty Development Incentive Program, now the Dr. Richard Wallace Research
Incentive Grants.

1999
The Seal of Excellence is awarded to the association’s Homecoming celebration as part of the Council for Advancement and Support of Education’s (CASE) Circle of Excellence awards. The association continues to be selected for a national CASE Circle of Excellence Award each year for the next five years.

The University renames the Alliance of Alumni Associations "the Alumni Alliance"

2001

The association’s student membership program is expanded and re-branded as "True Tigers."

The Columns Recognition Program is launched and focuses on building association volunteer support through alumni chapters.

2002 (Homecoming weekend)
Alumni and friends of the University gather on the South Quad for the dedication of Tiger Plaza.

2005
MU reaches its $600 million fundraising goal and raises the bar to $1 billion.

The association honors students in their senior year with a strong commitment to community service by recognizing the first class of Mizzou ‘39 at a candlelight ceremony on Francis Quadrangle.

The association marks the second-best membership gain in 12 years and brings membership to an all-time high of 37,550.

More than $220,000 is awarded in student scholarships through the association and its affiliated organizations.

2006
Across the country, 45 alumni chapters kick off the association’s 150th anniversary on January 16 by watching the men’s basketball Tigers beat the Jayhawks 89-86 in overtime.

 


Looking for
an old
study buddy?


Go to: 
Alumni Directory
Networking Options
Find a Group
Tiger Locator



Support | Site Map | Links | Disability Resources | Privacy Policy | Partners